Ernie Young opened the first shop in 1946 at 16 years of age with the aid of 'two tenners' loaned by his dad. He bought an existing bike shop at 248a Lee High Road, Lewisham which was a short distance away from what was to become their main site for many years at 290 Lee High Road.
There were also branches in Sydenham and Greenwich, all specialising in lightweight racing bike frames, run by Ernie's brothers George and Ray.
In the 1980s, the Sydenham and Greenwich branches closed down and Youngs took over the bike shop in Coney Hall, which was run by Harry Roland who was renowned for his wheel building skills.
Lee High Road was left to Ernie's son but sold off in the 1990s. Ray Young ran the shop in West Wickham until 2004 and the shop is now run by Martyn Green, still trading as Youngs Cycles.